With the arrival of Boishakh(summer), family, friends and work parties rule our diaries. In the sun drenched days and long warm nights of this season, it’s nice to kick back with some homemade, healthful and refreshing drink. For this reason today I will share with you some refreshing summer drink drink that you can prepare all at home and enjoy during the summer time. The preparation of these drinks are very easy and can be taken after a tiring working day, heavy lunch or dinner and can help you with your digestion. These healthy, satisfying sips will help you beat the heat.
Aam Jeera Jol
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped raw mangoes
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 tsp chopped green chilies
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
Combine all the ingredients along with 2 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add 3 cups of water and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and serve chilled.
Icy-Spicy lime Juice
- Sugar syrup – 6 big teaspoon (of normal strength – according to taste)
- Lime Juice – 1 whole.
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Chat Masala – 2 tpsp
- Black Salt – 1/2 tbsp
- Crushed Ice
- Soda water
- Tall glass
- Mixing pitcher
- Lime Slice (For garnishing)
Add all the ingredients, except crushed ice in your mixing pitcher and mix well. You can even put the lid and shake it for a minute. Add lots of crushed ice and shake it. Put in in the serving glass tumbler, and add your soda water. Garnish with thin lime slice.
- 1 10 thawed strawberry from can
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (1-liter) bottle soda, chilled
- Garnishes: lime slices and quartered fresh strawberries
Pulse first 5 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into a pitcher, and stir in club soda just before serving. Serve over ice. Garnish, if desired. Serve on sultry summer days and enjoy the fizzy sweetness of these colorful cocktails.
- 2 cups chilled and roughly chopped watermelon
- 1/4 cup chilled readymade orange juice
- 1/4 cup of peeled orange pulp
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Combine all the ingredients and blend in a juicer till the mixture is smooth and frothy. Pour equal quantities of the juice into 4 individual glasses. Serve immediately topped with some crushed ice and fresh orange pulp in each glass.
Mint – Cumber Margarita
- 1 cucumber peeled and cut in small cubes to make about 2 cups
- 8/9 mint leaves
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice adjust to taste
- 3 tablespoons sugar adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper adjust to taste
- Ice cubes to serve
In a blender, puree the cucumber, mint, salt, pepper and sugar. Pour the puree through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Use the spoon to press the solids to take out all the juice. There will be about 1-1/4 cups of cucumber juice. Add the lime juice and water mix it well. Fill the glasses with ice cubes and pour the cucumber drink. Cooler margarita is ready to be served. Enjoy!
Ginger Lemon Squash
- 12 lemons, juice removed and strained
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 3″ piece of ginger, grated and then pulp squeezed to remove juice
- 8 cloves
- 1/2 a nutmeg
- 1tbsp aniseed/ fennel seeds
- 1 kg sugar
Put the cloves, nutmeg and aniseed in a clean, dry coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder. Put 1 liter of water in a deep pan and bring to a boil on high heat. Add the powdered spices, simmer and boil for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and boil till you get syrup of half-thread consistency. See How to Make Sugar Syrup for more details. Once syrup is ready, remove from heat and allow to cool. The spice sediment will settle during this time. Strain the spiced syrup into another bowl. Add the lemon and ginger juice to the syrup and mix well. Pour into a bottle (use a funnel) and store in the refrigerator. To serve, pour Lemon Ginger Squash into a tall glass, according to taste and add crushed ice and chilled water. Stir, garnish with a slice of lime/ lemon and serve!