We get confused about our weight in the fasting month of Ramadan. For health-conscious persons – it is a great challenge. In such a case, if we become a bit careful – we can keep our weight under control.
I get a complaint from more or less everyone that – “I am doing all the fasting in the Ramadan. 15 to 16-hour fasting in a day, still not losing my weight, rather increasing”! Most of us cannot find the reason. I can say that – if we become a bit careful about iftar, dinner, and sehri considering our health – we can keep our weight under control while staying fit. We have to consider the following things:
1) If we can start our iftar with 2 dates – we can regain our body energy.
2) The whole day we do not drink water while fasting, so our body gets dehydrated. To fulfill this dehydration – fresh fruit juice, coconut water, curd, lassi, milk, nuts drinks, IsabgulerBhushietc drink can be taken. But one must be careful to ensure a minimum of 8 to 9 glasses of water from iftar to sehri.
3) While making juices or drinks – less quantity of sugar must be ensured. Beverage from outside sources is discouraged – because there might be extra sugar or harmful elements. For that reason – make the drink (sharbat) at home.
4)After drinking the juice/sharbar – we can take a bowl of vegetable soup. We can also take a mixed salad. The fiber of vegetable removes constipation. Raw or boiled piglets can be eaten. For cooking piglets – less oil must be ensured.
5)Iftar is incomplete without fried items for a lot of people. For those who have such a habit – needs to correct the cooking system of the fried items. The deep fry items like Chop, Shingara, Piaju, etc. can be done as a shallow fried, steamed or baking system. This will definitely help to control weight gain. This will not reduce the taste – still, the food will be nutritious.
6) Overeating is prohibited. Most of the time we overeat at the iftar, then skip the dinner and finally eat the sehri. This is absolutely wrong. You have to eat 3 times with the required quantity. While eating – food must be chewed well and small quantity at a time. This will enable you to feel the taste of the food and you will be able to eat limited quantity.
7) Those who take medicine – they must consult with a doctor about the doses of medicine during fasting. Never change the doses by yourself.
Finally, I will say one thing, avoid external food, artificial food or packed food. Eat homemade food using less oil and drink a lot of water and liquid food. Remember one thing, proper diet management only can keep you healthy during fasting.
Wishing a healthy life for everyone. And after fasting for the whole Ramadan – how should be your food habit, I am coming with those topics in “The Pages” in the following issue. Stay with me.