Cancer is no longer the deadly disease it once was. The World Health Organization (WHO) has estimated that a minimum of 60% of the cancers in women, and almost half those in men, can be directly related to diet and nutrition. The National Cancer Institute (NCI) USA still the 30-year-old cure-oriented war on cancer gets the multi-billion dollars, while prevention programs get very little. This means that the treatment of cancer with such natural methods as ‘Unani botanicals’ and diet is practically ignored.
From the very beginning of existence, man has familiarized himself with plants and used them in a variety of ways throughout the ages. The primitive man began to distinguish those plants suitable for nutritional purposes from others showed beneficial effects against various human sufferings such as injuries and diseases. The use of plant-derived materials as potential anticancer agents’ dates back at least to the Ebers Papyrus in 1550B.C. but it is only in the last 30 years that a serious scientific study of natural products as anticancer agents has been undertaken. Many natural products thus discovered are now used in cancer treatment or are used as templates to synthesize more potent analogs.
What is Cancer?
Cancer occurs when cells in certain tissues multiply uncontrollably. It most commonly affects the breasts, lungs, colon, skin, esophagus, stomach, ovaries, testicles, uterus, pancreas, prostate, bladder, lymph glands, lymph nodes, bone marrow, liver, and blood. About a third of people in the developed world will develop cancer in their lifetime, but it is estimated that as many as 70% of cases could be prevented by avoiding trigger factors, such as tobacco, alcohol, ultraviolet light, and certain foods.
Cancer is a disease that occurs when the entire body is imbalanced, the immune system is down and normal protective measures are insufficient. Cancer is not a single disease characterized by excessive, uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells, which invade and destroy other tissues.
Food as Preventive Medicine of Cancer:
When it comes to preventing cancer, the key seems to be eating as wide a variety of fruits and vegetables as possible. In a sense, then, if you want to lower your risk of cancer, you can create diet- excluding or minimizing meats and dairy products- that consists of healing herbs. The research is very clear. As fat and meat consumption increases, cancer rates rise. But as fruit and vegetable consumption increases, thereby lowering fat in the diet and increasing the amount of fiber and helpful phytochemicals, cancer rates fall.
What to eat and what to avoid eating is of primary importance in the treatment of cancer. Most of us renew our covenant with life three times a day or each time we eat. For the cancer patient and indeed
anyone with a degenerative disease, the Hippocratic principle “Let your medicine food and your food your medicine” should determine the choices we make.
Modern scientific researches have confirmed that certain vitamins- such as vitamin A, C, D and K; folic acid, beta- carotene, selenium, and the B- complex group, whole grains are all beneficial in inhibiting carcinogenesis. Plant Medicine in Cancer Treatment:
The prevalence of cancer is increasing throughout the world. Current therapeutic agents are insufficient to meet the complications of cancer. Medicinal plants have got tremendous potential in providing chemicals and bioactive agents for the treatment of cancer. The researchers detected a number of plants to treat and prevent cancer such as Surangan, Coriander, Pumpkin, Turmeric, Carrot, Soyabean, Licorice, Barley, Chinese Ginseng, Indian Gooseberry, Broom Weed, Spinach, Spider Flower, Chirata, Clove, Taxol, Tinospora, Indian Squill, Bur weed, Corn, Ginger and so on.
Cancer is a disease that occurs when the entire body is imbalanced. According to Unani concept, cancer is a disease of imbalanced humor, especially black bile.
The effects of deficiencies of essential nutrients or the presence in the body of bacterial toxic substances have an indirect effect on the development of cancer, rather than there being a specific cause and effect relationship. Today more and more chemist and medical experts around the world are emphasizing the value of herbal remedies for health.
Hamdard is fully aware of the fact and accepts the challenge to an established natural anticancer drug to cure the sufferings of humanity all over the world. Since 1906, Hamd ard has made continuous research on herbal medicine and given birth entirely a new discipline ‘Medical Elementology’ which investigates the role of elements in the human body in health and diseases.
Safi: A Holistic Medicine for Cancer
Safi is herbal poly pharmaceutical preparation having actions such as antimicrobial, anticancer, diuretic, laxative, hypoglycemic, antiallergic, antipyretic and skin diseases. It is an original research product of Hamdard and a unique combination of natural herbs with 75 years proven ability to combat blood impurities related diseases like leukemia, skin disease, diabetes, hypertension, cardiac ailments, acidosis, allergy, bacteraemia, cyanosis, jaundice, ketonaemia, pyrexia, septicaemia, toxaemia, cancer, uraemia, viraemia etc.
Neem (Nimbidol and Nimbidin), Turmeric (Curcumin), Creat (Andrographolid), Rose (Quercitrin), Chirata (Chiratin), Basil (Eugenol), Shahatara (Fumaric acid), ChebulicMyrobalan (Chebulic acid), white sandal (Santalol), Red Sandal (Santalol) is the major ingredients of Safi, which has excellent antioxidant properties. Antioxidant substances help to neutralize, destroy and eliminate the free radical from the body.
Free radical is a highly reactive molecule containing an odd number of electron. It can damage the community of molecules, the body’s cell, and tissues. By damaging delicate facts and proteins free radicals may significantly increase the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, liver disorder, lung disease, kidney disease, etc. Safi is a powerful antioxidant, by preventing the free radicals Safi helps to reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart attack, stroke, etc.
Action and Uses of Safi:
- Safi activates the macrophages of the reticuloendothelial system as evidenced by the accelerated clearance rate of colloidal carbon from the testing system. It increases the cell-mediated immune response.
- Safi inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi. It exhibited significant hypoglycemic, hypouricemic, hypouricemic, hypertriglyceridemic, hypocholesterolemic effects.
- Safi restores the balance of the body and maintains the proper concentration of elements.
- Safi helps to regain the normal balance of four humors.
- Safi increases the rate of phagocytosis, stimulates the immune system and increases the white blood cells and T-cells.
- Safi acts as diuretic diaphoretic, laxative, hepatoprotective and cures burning sensation during urination.
- Safi provides optimum nutrition for healthy skin, improves complexion, makes skin soft and glowing, helps to stay slim and smart.
- Self-Help and Lifestyle Keys to Locking Out Cancer:
- There are numerous steps you can take to improve your chances of avoiding many of the common cancers:
- Be familiar with your body: examine skin and breasts or testicles regularly.
- Take daily physical exercise. Research shows that inactive people are almost twice as likely to develop cancer as those who exercise regularly. Take more fresh air and avoid polluted air.
- Learn to manage stress: high-stress levels may be linked to cancer.
- Watch your weight: cancers of the breast, uterus, and gallbladder are more common in overweight people.
- Eat a balanced whole food diet high in fresh fruit and vegetables and wholegrain cereals, but low in fat, especially saturated fat, red meat, processed meat, and smoked or salted foods, a dietary factor is suspected in a third of all cancers. A high-fat diet, for example, is linked to breast cancer.
- Eat more foods and vegetables like- onions, garlic, tomato, red capsicum, black seed, fenugreek, black mustard, clove, cumin, cinnamon, linseed, caraway, turmeric, green tea, basil, menthol, soya meal, ginger, watermelon, apple, grapefruit, carrot, lemon, orange, pineapple, calendula, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beat etc. that protect against cancer.
- Choose organic food where possible: pesticides, additives, and other chemicals may increase susceptibility to cancer.
- Avoid charring food when grilling or barbecuing: this produces potential carcinogens (Cancer- inducing agents)
- Throw moldy food away, some molds are carcinogenic.
- Avoid becoming sunburn: ultraviolet light can trigger skin cancer.
- Practice safer sex: cervical and some anal cancers are linked to a sexually transmitted virus.
- Don’t smoke: smoking is a factor in cancers of the lung, mouth, throat, esophagus, pancreas, bladder and cervix.
- Keep alcohol intake low: in excess, it may increase the risk of cancer of the mouth, esophagus, larynx, and Lever.